Subject: Armageddon in E!
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 19:14:12 PDT

Hi! 

    I have been using E for about a month, and in that time have run into a
few problems (bugs? or just ignorance? :-) 

    A friend and I have been stumped on two problems:

    (1) The first one is adding nodes to a Listview from Gadtools in a loop. 
I had a project I was working on (subsequently scrapped) that needed a text
file to be read in line by line (ReadStr in a loop) and that line then added
to my listview. I was reading in the file before making the gadget. What I was
doing was passing AddTail while in the loop, but for some strange reason, the
list view would only appear with the LAST line passed by the loop.  When I
used addtail outside of the loop, it worked perfectly, but it would be crazy
to hardcode all of what I wanted directly into the program (2500+ taglines!)

    I would still very much like to know how to get this working, even though
that project has been dumped (my new QWK reader supports taglines, and so does
my new Point-Mail reader)...as I will probably encounter this again.

    (2) Here is the one that is currently screwing me up: A friend and I are
working on an interface to E. (the "E Development System") When finished, it
is going to revise the source (with time and date stamp, along with
comments--already got most of this working) and call the text editor (perhaps
have a built in one(?)) and be able to run any options the user has (EPP).  It
has a very lovely, multi-window interface, all done in gadtools.  The problem
is getting IDCMP messages from the different windows.  Right now I am using
a modified version of the wait4message from the examples, using
IDCMP_INACTIVEWINDOW to switch the window ptr being passed to wait4msg.  This
is very clumsy (often I have to click in and out of windows before a gadget
passes the message).  My friend is using converted C source doing it the
"right way" (modifying IDCMP), but I have not yet gotten this source to look
at, and it keeps crashing on him when he closes the windows. (We have looked
at everything - calling modifyidcmp w/ NIL as the arg, CloseWindowSafely, and
all that junk) but it is still not working for him.  I cannot use this, cause
it would kill me haveing to wait for a reboot (not even gives a failed req!)
when trying out new code.

    This one is of VITAL importance. Both of these Qs are probably being
posted simultaneously here by my partner in crime, George Beasly. Just reply
to one of us...

 / / /
/_/_/iZ

*-- The Gamma Quadrant --*

*-- GammaTag Version 2.8 --*
*-- *-- DOS ERROR: Please remove cat from drive DF0:...